Tuesday 13 May 2008

Dr Who 4.6 - The Doctor's Daughter

Oh. My. Gosh.

What a good episode!!

By the way, this is my second attempt at writing this entry, as I wrote a huge blog about this on Sunday, and then my computer crashed! So I shall attempt to re-create it, as best as I can.

So, why did I like this episode so much? Cos it was great. That's why :D

Georgia Moffett was outstanding (and hot, which helps admittedly) at a role that, by rights should have felt rushed and forced, but instead easily segued into being a natural fit with David Tennant's Doctor and Catherine Tate's Donna.

I was surprised when I surfed the net after watching, to discover that many reviews considered it one of the worst episodes of this season, and said that it felt like "Old Who".

Yes, the whole episode felt rushed, and it did feel as if it could have been a classic Who serial (in a good way) rather than being compressed into the 45 minutes, which did cause some of the incidental characters to be rather more two-dimensional, but with the primary story being the interaction between The Doctor and Jenny, that was always likely to be the case.

Oh and also, I loved the old-school Quicksand that Martha and the Hath encountered. Loved the Hath on the whole really, I thought they were different looking (well, at least for new who, where every alien (bar the Daleks (I've just realised I'm into the third set of brackets inside each other, which gramatically is not allowed I am sure) whos design is obviously from classic who) is a humanoid in some way, shape or form, usually being an animal-type who walks upright) and generally a nice contrast to the others.

I'm sure I had more I wanted to write here, but I have forgotten it.

Oh well, maybe later.

All in all, a great episode.

Next week, Agatha Christie, period costumes and a giant wasp. Am I looking forward to it? I don't know. I never really look forward to the past ones.... we shall see


EDIT: - I discovered that Blogger saved most of the entry i thought was lost! So here's the chunk of it I didn't cover above


DON'T READ ON IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT.

SERIOUSLY

THIS IS A SPOILER



So, Jenny's death was a little cliche (and could help reminding me of Owen's (first) death in Torchwood earlier this year) but it was worth it for the wonderful Doctor acting and the moment of leaving her behind. But her ressurection. I don't understand what that was about. We saw her breath out gasses that looked, to me, like the regeneration energy that the Doctor breathed out in Xmas Invasion, but it also looked like the terraforming gas that had been released. In my logical mind I can see a few different reasons for why she is alive:

1) She regenerated, but because she was unaware of how to do it, she didn't change her physical appearance - To me, this could be the case, but doesn't make huge amounts of sense.
2) The terraforming gasses brought her back to life - I don't even begin to understand how that would work, but should we ever get an explanation I could see this being the one RTD chose to use, because it's simple.
3) Because she had only recently been created, the regenerative abilities which allowed the Dr to grow back his hand, allowed her to grow back whatever was broken.

Anyway, I think we will see her again, although I don't thinkit's likely this season (unless the finale ends up at some point in the same timeframe as her, since she has no time machine) and I don't think we will be seeing a spinoff as some people seem to think, cos apart from anything else, she is now one of the leads in the Spooks spinoff - Spooks: Code 9

No comments: