Thursday 17 September 2009

A Rant to all you Car, Bus and Lorry drivers out there!

Once again, greetings to you all!

It's rant time again - and today's is aimed squarely at those of you who move around in motorised four-wheeled vehicles.

As most of you know, I am a biker. I ride a motorbike. Daily. I'm not one of these stupid "weekend bikers" who keep their bike in a garage and only take it out on a sunny Sunday (although I do now keep my bike in a garage, because I live in a shitty area of South East London and have already had one nicked! But anyway, I appear to be digressing within these brackets, so I shall end them and return to the thought at hand.) I am a biker. I bike to work, I bike home, I bike when I go out (unless I'm drinking) and I bike to and from Poole on a regular basis.

And in honour of all bikers everywhere, I would like to point something out to you other drivers.

WE EXIST.

WE ARE PEOPLE.

WE HAVE AS MUCH RIGHT TO DRIVE ON THE ROAD AS YOU DO!

I bring this up, because usually two or three times a week, I end up having to get out of the way of a vehicle who, I'm sure, has just not seen me, but then I have to perform something I would consider an emergency manouvre, which usually involves a lot of acceleration in order to get past the offending vehicle. (This, incidentally, is the reason you would never catch me riding a scooter, because the acceleration is rubbish, and if you had to pull away or be squished by a bus, you would end up as pate-on-bus faster than you could say "Argh! THAT'S A BUS!")

Another thing that annoys me is when drivers are irritated by motorcyclists who drive down the white line in the middle of the road. Get over it. You would do it if you could, but you can't. So thank us, because we are taking ourselves out of the traffic so that the queue isn't as long. Granted there are morons who insist on doing 90mph down the white line without looking, but most of us are sensible!

Oh, and just because I zoom away from you at the traffic lights, doesn't mean I will end up speeding. I am interested in getting to the speed limit as quickly as possible, and staying there. If the inside lane of a dual carrigeway (where the speed limit is 50) is moving at 35mph, then I will get in the outside lane. When I'm in that lane, I will speed up to 50. I will then stay at 50. No matter how much you drive up my ass flashing your lights, tooting your horn, or whatever. I like my licence, and I don't wish to lose it. I don't care if you lose yours, but I'm not getting involved.

This was a rant. I know this. And not particularly funny. And probably not that interesting.

But it made me feel better :)

3 comments:

Sprog said...

May I point out that

1) You live in London. Drivers in London are tossers. Bus and Taxi drivers are the worst. I speak from experience!

2) Speed limits are 70mph on Dual Carriage ways, unless stated otherwise. Unless you have one of those craazy licenses?

3) I applaud your rant. I wish I had a bike, so getting to work would be much faster than sitting in queues whilst my Punto flashes lights on the dashboard indicating "I'm going nowhere and the engine is on. WTF ARE YOU DOING?"

Brawny said...

Sprog -
1) This is true.

2) I was referencing a specific bit of dual carriageway on my ride home, which is 50mph

3) You should program your car to say that sentence ;D

Coolmumh said...

This very true, but remember some of us are very nice to bike riders like moi who is always careful after my brother nearly died because some car driver was inconsiderate...........

But like Sprog i do applaud the rant!