Friday 30 January 2009

The Bloody Credit Crunch

OK, I thought I'd leap on the bandwagon since in the last couple of weeks Fox wrote a blog with a positive spin on it, and now Teenie has writ a blog telling us how to save money in this time of crisis. So here is my opinion on the Credit Crunch.

It's all rubbish.

Seriously.

OK, so it's not ALL rubbish. Economically speaking we are in a downturn (which is now officially a recession) and that is a bad thing. But for most of us, it just means business as normal.

The biggest risk to peoples livelihoods are people who work in what I like to term "fringe" jobs - jobs which do not directly contribute to making money/jobs in business that don't make money.

And yes, my career is one of those. Theatre, like many things, is viciously financially dependant, and in this time of recession there are less jobs around for all of us, techies, actors, producers, whoever.

Am I worried? No.

Partly because I am working in a school, and as annoying as the education system can be, they don't tend to lay people off often, and partly because if they do, I will go with the flow and do something else.

What I am fed up with is people blaming everything on the Credit Crunch, as if someone is personally sneaking into their house and stealing their money. It doesn't have much day-to-day impact on most of us unless you are buying/selling a house (or car), or unless you lose your job. Then obviously it has a huge amount of effect.

Rant over.

2 comments:

Sprog said...

There's nobody sneaking in houses to steal money. It's caused my an alien invasion.

The aliens must consume money at a rate of $1000/kg bodyweight/day.
Say there are 100 aliens and each weighs 10kg, then there is around $1000000 dissapearing daily due to this alien invasion.

Well, thats my explanation anyway.

Sprog said...

*by an alien invasion. Damn you lack of grammatical checking.