Sunday 15 June 2008

UPDATED - Doctor Who 4.10 - Midnight

Well, I let myself think about it for about 18 hours, and I still don't know whether I liked that episode or not!

It was different, and in places very effective and scary, although it did suffer from a slightly rushed end I felt. Especially as the resulting conclusion was just "throw the monster out".

I liked that the monster had no prosthetics and no CG, and the repeating things and stealing a voice was quite freaky, but on the other hand, it just.... didn't feel like it went anywhere, you know?

I think it was a brave attempt to do a Solo Doctor Bottle Show (for those who don't know, a bottle show is one set pretty much all in one set) the first true Companion-less story since The Deadly Assasin in Tom Baker's time.

What excited me more than the majority of this episode however, was the next week trailer. And this is coming from someone who was dreading the return of Rose. However, any trailer that starts with the Doctor Dead and moves on from there is incredibly interesting......

EDIT - I have just had an argument with Az, from foxkadmon.blogspot.com about the statement I made regarding this being the first true Companion-less story since The Deadly Assassin, as he reckons that Time Crash should count. However, through Time Crash (Which was only a mini episode anyway), I consider each Doctor fulfils the companion role for the other doctor.

So what do I mean by a companion? The "Companion" is, in my eyes, a recognised Story element, which includes any charatcer who is on that particular adventure who instantly trusts and works with the Doctor, i.e. Astrid in Voyage of the Damnned. Midnight and The Deadly Assassin are the only stories in which there are no "Companion figure"

Hope that's clear.

No comments: