Sunday 20 April 2008

Pointless Error Messages

OK... I understand the concept of error messages on computers (and other electronic equipment as well). If there is a problem, then they tell you what the issue is.

I ALSO understand that sometimes what they show you can appear to be complete gibberish, but would make sense to someone technically minded, or someone who has access to the code of the program.

HOWEVER, (and this is a trend that I attribute to starting with Microsoft), there is a worrying number of applications that simply have messages that are pointless. The one I experienced this morning was BBC iPlayer, which told me "There is a problem with the delivery system. We cannot specify the problem. If this continues, please contact support." (Or words to that effect) That was all the information given. Not even an error message number, to quote if you chose to contact support.

Since the problem eventually went away by the tried and true method of clicking on the same thing repeatedly until it did what I wanted it to do, I have got over it, but the uselessness of the message has stuck with me.

And why do I blame Microsoft? I blame it for this reason... "Windows has been forced to terminate [Application Name]. We apologise for the inconvenience"

That I blame.

And, I know it offers you a "Send information to Microsoft" button, but seriously, do they ever look at it?

And would you want Microsoft to know what was going on with your computer anyway?

And what if your computer is not attached to the internet?

Rant over, for now....

No comments: