Friday 16 October 2009

A Strange, Lonely and Troubling piece of Journalism (AKA Jan Moir: Homophobe)

Consider this a warning - this is an angry, sweary, offended blog, which is on a subject I know a lot of people have talked about / blogged about today (including people much more talented than me, such as Charlie Brooker) but, having read the offending article, a few hours ago, and then mulled it over in my mind, I felt I wanted to say something.

For those of you who don't know what this is about, today in the Daily Mail, a piece was published by their columnist Jan Moir, both in print and online, entitled "A Strange, Lonely and Troubling death..." which is about the death of Stephen Gately.

Now, just to be clear, I'm not a mad Boyzone fan, and nor did I have any particular affection for Mr Gately himself, except for that affection one affords to all human beings (excluding those who have done something to cause that affection to be terminated). I read of his death a couple of days ago, and my brain simply registered "Oh, that's sad." Then, this morning, I started to see people posting on Facebook and other such outlets about Ms Moir's article. So I decided to have a read and see what all the fuss was about.

Where do I start? At the beginning I guess... (Please bear in mind that I shall not be reproducing the ENTIRE article here, just sections...)

"The news of Stephen Gately's death was deeply shocking. It was not just that another young star had died pointlessly"

Well yes, it was that another young star had died pointlessly. In fact, I would say it was more shocking than those who die from fast living, drug overdoses and the like...

"Through the recent travails and sad ends of Michael Jackson, Heath Ledger and many others, fans know to expect the unexpected of their heroes - particularly if those idols live a life that is shadowed by dark appetites or fractured by private vice."

5 comments:

Sprog said...

Dude, have you only just started reading the Daily Mail?

Last week they managed to spin Michael Jackson's words of "I think Hitler was a genius public speaker, to be able to twist people that much and make them follow your insane ideas" into "Hitler was a Genius" and "The boys who killed Jamie Bulger could only be so cold because they lacked love in their lives. Their parents must have never loved them. I would like to give them a hug, tell them they are loved, and maybe change them for the better" (or words to that effect) into "I would hug the boys who killed Jamie Bulger".

Suddenly changes them from interesting points into insane and hysterical headlines.

Brawny said...

Firstly, I don't tend to read the Daily Mail at all - but several people pointed this out to me...

Secondly, twisting someones words (however immorally) is one thing, flat out making stuff up based on one persons homophobic viewpoint is surely another...

Sprog said...

Dude, you gotta read the Mail. It's hilariously brilliant, because it's so full of tripe yet attempting to pass itself off as a "respectable" paper.

I agree on your second point, I think the article shows how low the mail is willing to go. They can hide behind a logo designed like that of The Times and less-sensational headlines than The Sun, but in the end they're still just a tabloid churning out shite.

Sue S said...

Well said Brawny.

Such speculation disguised as journalism is far more digusting to my mind than anything Gately, his husband and guest may (or may not!) have been up to.

The Mail online pulled the ads from her article as soon as the reaction started. Speaks volumes!

Brawny said...

Sue - if they really cared, they'd have removed the actual article rather than the ads...