Friday 23 March 2012

The Great Playthrough: Game 2 - Ice Climber

It's time for Game 2 of my great playthrough! (Which now has a twitter hashtag by the way - #brawnysgreatplaythrough). And what game am I playing today?


Ice Climber
Originally released for: NES
Played on: 3DS (via Nintendo Ambassador Program)
Release date: 1985

I have to admit, my previous playthrough game (Midway Arcade Hits) did worry me a little. What if all of the old games are actually rubbish? What if my good memories are just rose-tinted thoughts? And, if a significant chunk of my games collection IS rubbish, what have I committed myself to??

These thoughts and more were rushing through my head as I powered up my 3DS and loaded up Ice Climber. And then? My worries were sated. It's great!

This game suits a lot of my sensibilities. Firstly, it's a platformer, in the truest sense of the word, and I am a huge platform fan. Secondly, it's a first party Nintendo game, and that always equals quality.

Just to clarify, I know that the previous statement makes me sound like a giant Nintendo fanboy - but it's OK, because I am. (As can be seen from the fact that I even own this game - it was given to 3DS owners as part of Nintendo's 3DS ambassador program which was a thank-you gesture to everyone who bought a 3DS before the price was cut). But this game really is up there with some of the best retro platform arcade games (incl. Donkey Kong and the wonder that is Bubble Bobble) and as a consequence, my hour with it passed in pure delight.

In fact, I'd go so far as to say that it works even better as a handheld game than it would as a regular console game nowadays, as the bite-sized levels are a perfect size to just pick-up-and-play.

Don't get me wrong, it's still harder than a bar of nougat that's been left in the freezer, (I sense that this will become a trend with the older games I own - either that or I'm just really rubbish at playing games), but it's so entertaining that dying many times doesn't stop you wanting to have just one more try. And the fact that you can choose which mountain you start on means that you don't have to be brilliant to try out all of the levels.

Granted, just like Midway Arcade Hits, the primary aim is to beat your score, although as I've mentioned earlier, there are 20 levels to give a little variation, but the very nature of the game makes it an exceedingly addictive experience. And the graphics are 8-bit wonders of the age. They're colourful, identifiable and downright beautiful.

Overall, it's a fun, easy-to-play and has completely restored my faith in retro games and this overall experiment. So it's a big thumbs up from me.

Rating (out of 10:) 8/10
Time played: 1 Hour (or if I'm being honest, just over)
Would I continue playing?: If I've got a spare 5 minutes and my 3DS to hand, it'll be near the top of the list. (That's a yes, if you didn't understand)

Next game? Well, for the next game it's time to dim the lights, turn up the sound, get out the popcorn and attack the scariest game in existence. Soon we will determine whether or not I am the master of unlocking... yes it's the original Resident Evil! Join me for that won't you?

(I'm also considering setting up a different blog for these playthroughs so they are separate from my personal blog. Do you think this is a good idea? Does anyone care? Let me know!)

No comments: