Wednesday 8 July 2009

Torchwood: Children of Earth - Part Two - SPOILERS

So, I got the chance to catch up with part two late last night on iPlayer...

This won't be a long review like the one for Part One was, as a lot of it is similar, due to the serial nature of the story!

I thought that this second installment was not quite as good as the first, missing Jack for a lot of it, and it all feeling a bit deadly serious.. which is understandable I guess, when people are trying to kill you, but I hope it doesn't stay like that.

Good things were abundant, including Ianto's family causing a distraction, the evil woman's great plan for dealing with Jack (bring on the cement mixer!) and the JCB!!

However, Lois Abibba (or however one spells her name), is fast becoming a useful plot device rather than a character. I could believe the whole "having your bosses password on a post-it" thing, because we all know stuff like that happens, but by Day 2 she is stealing information and aiding fugitives? I mean, granted, the fugitives are Torchwood, so we know they're not evil... but she doesn't!!

Also, why is she doing it? This was my big problem with the episode I think, because people are by nature selfish. So she should have a reason for doing what she's doing. If they'd made her a mother, it would make more sense, or established some form of child presence in her life, as then she would be worried for her child. But she doesn't (or if she does, we don't know yet), and because of that, she doesn't seem to have a motive...

One thing I forgot to mention in review one is how beautifully shot the whole thing is, kudos to Euros Lyn for some brilliant style and flair...

Oh, and a nag from episode one was that I hope that the SUV theft doesn't just turn out to be random, because it was so convenient that Ianto lost the car the day that they have to go on the run....

In total - This Part gets an 8/10

Anyway, Part Three is on in like 3 and a half hours

Good Times :)

No comments: