Friday 15 February 2013

The Great Playthrough: Game 40 - Flashback




Flashback
Released on: Sega Megadrive, PC, Amiga, Mega-CD, Archimedes, SNES, 3DO, Atari Jaguar and many, many others
Played on: Sega Megadrive
Release Date: 1992

I know that as a review of my opinions and feelings about the game I ought to start at the beginning, work through my opinions and then come to a conclusion at the end. To announce any conclusions at the start of the blog would ruin any essence of drama and suspense within the writing. So I shall try my best not to give it away before the end of the post.

For those of you who don’t know, Flashback is a 2D platformer with a lot of puzzles and a great (very Philip K Dick influenced) sci-fi story. I remembered playing it on the PC as a teenager, and finding it great yet frustrating in equal measures. So I assumed that when I re-attempted it that I would, in my grouchy old-age, find it to be an average game – spend half an hour playing it and then give up, awarding it somewhere in the region of 6/10 and then move on to the next game on the list.

And did I?

No. Because Flashback became one of the biggest surprises of this blog so far. I absolutely adored it.

(Sorry to those of you who love the drama and suspense, but I couldn't contain myself any longer. If you want real Drama and Suspense then go and watch the first 3 seasons of Lost, and then turn it off for a few years – that’ll give you Drama.)

I didn't mind that the difficulty level is quite hard. I didn't mind that there is no battery save – you have to remember passwords! (And seriously, there’s something nostalgically retro about passwords that you have to pencil into the back of the instruction manual.) I didn't mind that there are three different types of jump and you have to learn each of them by reading through the manual. I didn't mind the repetitive, minimalistic music, and the backtracking to make sure you had found everything you needed.

I didn't even mind that I spent over an hour playing the first level, dying and re-starting at least 4 times.

It’s such a well-built game. Well-designed, beautiful graphics, and great controls (which I found much easier than I remember finding the controls on the PC version) and the plot is genuinely engaging – which is something I very rarely encounter in games. I want to know what happens, which is one of the myriad of reasons I am likely to go back to this game time and time again.

I really cannot explain quite how much I enjoyed this game, and I know that most of you will not have a copy you can play, to see how right I am, but for god’s sake find one. It’s one of the few intelligent adult platformers I can ever remember playing where I was so gripped and enthralled that I didn't want to stop. I had to stop after 90 minutes of play because I realised that the rules of the playthrough meant I should not be playing more than an hour, but sod it, I let myself have the next half hour, and even now, while writing this, I want to stop and go and play it again.

Seriously, it’s that good.

I normally don’t advise people to play games based on my reviews. I assume that most of you know what you like and a lot of that isn't going to align with what I like to play, but this one is different.

Play it. Play it now.

Rating: 9/10
Time Played: 1 hour 30 minutes
Would I play it again? Hell yes.

No comments: