Wednesday 3 February 2010

PETA - Stop it. Now.

OK, so PETA are an organisation known for their "shocking" tactics and publicity attempts (and for more information, some good humour and a much better written blog than this one, go and read the lovely Neety's entry about them from April last year) but this time they've successfully shocked me.

They created a poster that ends with the tag line "People who are violent towards animals rarely stop there." OK, that makes sense. That's quite a good tag line, as it implies that if you're cruel to animals, you'll end up being cruel to people.

But what was the rest of the poster made of?

It was a picture of Steven Barker (the man who killed Baby P in 2007), and the complete caption read "Steven Barker: Animal Abuser, Baby Abuser, Rapist. People who are violent towards animals rarely stop there."

Is it just me, or have they listed Animal Abuser first to make it seem the most important?? They're trying to make a point, I get that, but who do they think they are going to convince? Do they think that by making it people will suddenly go "Oh shit, I should stop being mean to animals before I murder a baby?" Of course they won't. That as a poster has no advantage to anything. It tells us cruelty is bad, which we know. If you are a person who then continues to be cruel to animals, you'll do so regardless of what that poster says.

Now personally, I wouldn't be cruel to an animal, but I would imagine those who are would look at that poster and go "Well I'm nothing like him."

But the most horrendous thing was where they chose to display the poster. Where would be the least tasteful place to put it?

Why, Haringey of course.

Assholes.

Luckily, the news story I got this from says that the poster has been banned, which is good news. But I can't even imagine how horrendous it was for the residents of Haringey when it was on display.

I'd never be cruel to animals... but can I be cruel to PETA? Please?

3 comments:

Sprog said...

Yes, Please be cruel to PETA. They're idiots.

Ysabella said...

I agree that their thinking in even printing the poster and their subsequent placement equaled a massive fail on the part of PETA, however I don't think they were trying to say animal abuse was the most important by its placement on the poster. I think by putting it first they were just trying to show that it was the first step for that deplorable little man with his personal escalation of violence and that it lead to the further atrocities.

學生 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.