Tuesday 24 March 2009

The Temptation of Spoilers

To anyone who doesn't understand what the title of this blog refers to, let me just clarify what I mean by spoiler (those who do understand should skip to the next paragraph)

A Spolier is a leaked piece of information about a future film/tv show/book/any other form of entertainment, which gives you plot/character information before you watch/read the relevant piece of work

I have a love/hate relationship with Spoilers (oh, and welcome back those of you who skipped the opening paragraph), not least because I am impatient! There are two things that I have fallen over information for recently, and one I was glad of, and one I wasn't.

Firstly, new Red Dwarf. If you take a look at www.listerscominghome.co.uk, you can end up watching a Behind the Scenes thingy about the new Red Dwarf. Now I'm desperately excited about new Dwarf, and consequentially I watched it, and it just made me even more excited (like a good promotional video should) by showing me tiny snippets, but not anything that gives away any major plot details.

However, the Dr Who specials for this year on the other hand, I already know what the aliens are for the Easter one, and... well not much else actually. But the thing that annoyed me most was a spoiler about the Dr Who Xmas Specials for this year (yes I know, it's only March), which I read about kind of accidentally!

(For those who wish to know, visit Den of Geek, and look for the Doctor Who story from 21st March. I was going to put a link here, but rudely, part of the spoiler is actually contained in the name for the link!)

So why do I read spoilers? Simply put, because I like to know what is going to happen, I can't cope with waiting for information, and the only things I manage to stay un-spoiled about are things that have been off my radar for a while, such as Torchwood Series 3, which I know very little about, and intend to keep it that way.

So what do you think? Are Spoilers good or bad? Is it bizarre that in this day and age we can find out who is in a christmas episode of a long running series in March?

And incidentally, what do we think of how new Red Dwarf looks? :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Half of me wants it to remain unspoilt and yell my anger towards spoilers out from the rooftops. The other half...well, I wanna know.

Will resist for now and see what happens.